Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Eve - Worship and Merriment

We went down early for worship this evening since seating last year was pretty tight.  They had an organist, a flute or two, someone on a harp, a vocalist and Br. James (the only one I could see) on an oboe.  Music in the chapel always sounds good - even bad notes (I'm not implying that there were any, just making a point about the acoustics).

The late service on Christmas Eve is similar to that found at any church... lots of hymns, the typical readings and the like.  There's no chanting of psalms like most of the other monastic worship experiences.  The chapel looked stunning of course and the readings, mood and music all came together to bring Joy to everyone.



After worship was over, everyone - guests and visitors included - was invited over to Pilgrim Hall for what is termed on the program as "Christmas Merriment".  Nobody went away hungry from this... lots of food, eggnog (yes, "enhanced" eggnog was available), all sorts of wonderful stuff.  This STARTED around midnight!  As they say, a good time was had by all...




We had a moment on our way to hear the music before worship to have our photo taken... have a Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU so much for these photos...I was in attendance (you even got a photo of me). I so enjoyed my time at Holy Cross and your photos remind me of the wonderful experience it was.

    Mary H

    ReplyDelete

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.