Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve evening




So after Supper, I decided to get out the good camera (everything so far has been with my point and shoot or with my iPhone)... mostly so I didn't bring it up here for nothing.  Here are a few shots of the greenery.

I wandered into the chapel where they already have set it up for the midnight mass.  And I FINALLY heard the organ!  One of the sisters was practicing - there's a group of sisters from one of the Episcopal orders down in the city joining us this evening.  The instrument is a Rodgers and she really didn't open it up, but it seemed to have a nice tone.  She was having trouble figuring out how to work the capture action and I was able to recall enough from my Allen days that we were able to figure it out together.  I look forward to hearing it during worship tonight.  Judging from all the extra chairs that were set up, and from the fact that most of the guests here seem to be musically inclined, it should be a grand evening.
After taking a few photos, I joined Br. Scott and many of the guests in Pilgrim Hall.  Scott had a wonderful and challenging meditation on "Room at the Inn" and as part of that we got to sing a couple of Christmas Carols by the Christmas Tree.  Once he got us in a nice and sentimental mood, he then shattered that pointing out how many of the details about the Christmas story are about the huge injustice in the world - both 2000 years ago with Jesus' birth, and in our world today.  It led to some really thought-provoking discussion.

Normally we would be going to bed shortly (it's approaching 9:00 PM as I write).  But tonight, we have hours to go before we sleep.  Music starts in the chapel around 10:30 with Mass at 11:00 (and expect that will last a bit).  I saw signs on a table in Pilgrim Hall pointing to the place where the container of "Eggnog with Rum" will sit later for the "Christmas Merriment" portion of the evening.  Perhaps there's a reason why Matins will be at 11:00 AM tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. The Sisters who are sitting in choir with us, and who provided so much of last night's music, are from the Community of the Holy Spirit. They do have a convent in Manhattan. But the 3 sisters who joined us are from Blue Stone Farm in Brewster, NY, where they lead their religious community life while running a bio-dynamic farm and living arts center.
    http://www.chssisters.org/melrose-bluestone-farm/

    ReplyDelete

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.