Friday, December 23, 2011

Drive up and Arrival




The drive up was basically uneventful.  Except for some holiday shopping traffic, it went pretty smoothly.  I found it odd coming up this late in the day and driving so close to sunset (I've never been up during Standard Time before), but I was treated to some glorious sky colors during the drive. 

To get myself in a more Christmas mood, I used the audio cable John gave me for Christmas this morning and was finally able to hear music from my iPhone in the car.  Devices these days are incredible... GPS, cell phone and MP3 player all in one package.  Today's playlist included Christmas music from The Peanuts, The Glenn Miller Orchestra, Kenny G, Manheim Steamroller, as well as some of the rock favorites.  My mood brightened during the drive and I didn't mind the traffic... getting here just as Laurie was ready to close the guest house and with just enough time to dump my stuff in my room (I'm in St. Peter Damian this time) before Vespers.

An unexpected surprise as I was seated in the Chapel for Vespers was to see Jose show up in a black robe!  He was one of my compatriots in the "Come and See" program (see below) and at supper I confirmed that he had just joined as a... I'm going to guess it's Postulate (or Novice... I don't remember which comes first).

This time I'm much more at ease with the comings and goings.  While waiting for Supper I helped Don and Donna with the puzzle of the day in Pilgrim Hall, and met several fellow guests during the meal.  I also got to chat briefly with one of the other guests on my floor who's a priest.  She unfortunately has to go back to the real world tomorrow and sounded a bit jealous of those of us who got to stay for Christmas.

Tomorrow looks to be a big day... we get to help the brothers decorate for Christmas in the afternoon and there's some sort of midnight service as well.  It should be a fun weekend.

1 comment:

  1. 'Good to see you in the house, George.
    Lori is our Guesthouse Manager. And Jose has started his postulancy and is a postulant. After several months, he may be accepted as a Novice, at which time he'd receive a white monastic habit (instead of the black cassock he wears in church for now).

    ReplyDelete

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.