Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Companions On My Journey


First, understand that I'm terrible with names... I have to meet you several times before I remember your name. Each time I meet someone I try to focus on their name for about 2 minutes and then as I loose myself in conversation, I find myself racking my brain trying to remember their name. So forgive me if I describe people rather than use names.

As I wondered around the guest house yesterday afternoon, other companions on the journey began to arrive. I learned there were two groups up here in additon to a few of us making individual retreats. One group is gathering to worship and then work on local Habitat for Humanity projects, and another is learning how to "Paint Your Faith". Most of the other individual retreaters (is that the right word?) are ordained clergy of one form or another.

The paint your faith group seems to be mostly women - ranging in age from I would guess mid 30s to seniors, and the Habitat group seems to be retired men and some young 20somethings - these younger guys may be entry-level monks (again, I'm sure there's an official word for them) as I saw them going into the "monastic enclosure" - the sort of forbidden zone to us guests. I'm told that as the weekend approaches, some of these groups may switch out.

One guest is a woman who seemed very quiet. While we were waiting for dinner, I was out on the back porch. I tried to say hello, but she just smiled and turned away - did I tell you I feel like an unusual alien here? I later learned she was a sister from a neighboring convent who is a guest here for a silence experience - she only seems to be allowed to speak during worship.

Finally, there are the brothers - the monks. I've had brief conversations with several of them and they come across as the most centered people I've ever met. I'm dying to sneak in and bug the monastic enclosure... is that where they let their hair down and have their spats "yo Harry... stop moving my prayer book", or do they really live like this all the time.

I said I feel like an alien... but it's a different sort of alien. You feel a warmth from all your companions and I've had good conversations with several (I won't go into details here). I'm looking forward to spending a week getting to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.