Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Now What? A Stranger in a Strange Land...


After finding the guest house, I found out that I'm assigned to St. Stephen. It's not quite how it sounds as the rooms are named rather than numbered. I have a little cell on the second floor. Basically it's just a bed a small desk and a couple of lamps and side tables. This is going to be interesting.

Honestly, my first thoughs were along the lines of "alright George... you're here... now what the &*%# are you going to do."

So I just grabbed the camera and went around taking pictures. The space is beautiful - both inside and out. It is very austere, but we knew that going in. After calling Kristen and updating some select pics on Facebook, I signed off facebook and shut off the phone. Walking around some more, I did find a wireless router so I'm able to connect and keep the blogs up.

By then it was time for vespers... all I'll say for now (time for bed) is that it was the first time in ages that I felt completely out of place in worship. The services are simple, the Brothers chant the service in a sort of Gregorian Chant sound. The words are familiar, but they use incense which I've never experienced up close before. To top it off, I didn't notice the cart with the programs and books, so I was flying blind. AND to my mortification, my sneakers squeek LOUDLY on the floor of the chapel... so I wasn't about to go trapsing off to look for the bulletin. All I could do is sit and watch... but surprisingly, I still felt God's presence.

I'll fill you in more tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.