Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Drive Up the Hudson


My drive up from central jersey was glorious... especially after I left the "typical New Jersey" area (GSP and NJ Turnpike). I got lost many times (despite having a GPS unit - or perhaps because of it) trying to find the entrance to the Palisades Parkway. The GPS is usually a good guide, especially when you trust it and just tell it to "go here". But today I wanted to take the scenic drive - rather than the fastest way - and I had difficulty telling it to go against the world's view. Perhaps this was an omen.


The trip was not without it's vices... I was tired and hungry after numerous circles around the medowlands complex (the new road construction doesn't match the GPS unit's internal maps) and I fell for McDonald's beconing golden arches.


From there, the trip improved. I put the top down on the Miata and could feel myself relaxing as I traveled up the Palisades Parkway. I was definitely in tourist mode, but was able to make a connection with one of the maintenance workers who told me of a nice vantage point off the beaten path. The view from the extra effort (both at connecting with others and from the 100 yd walk) was well worth it.


I noticed that as I got closer to the monastery, I was getting nervous. I suddenly was craving ice cream (I always eat when nervous), telling myself they would never have ice cream at a monastery and this was my last chance for several days. So I had my ice cream, calmed my nerves and turned in the driveway.


After searching a bit, I found the guesthouse office and checked in...



1 comment:

  1. Actually, they do serve Ice Cream sometimes (more typically on Sundays and other Feasts on the Christian Calendar). This summer there were some ice cream bars in the freezer that rapidly disappeared every time the chef replenished the stock! Bede says that there is something about long-retreat that makes people crave sugar.

    ReplyDelete

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.