Friday, October 7, 2011

2011 Final Thoughts

For me one of the best aspects of the monastery is the bell.  It rings as an "alarm clock" five minutes before each worship service and we all drop everything and scramble to get to worship in time.  Once you're sitting in the chapel, the next time it rings is a call to worship.  Next to the sound of silence, it's the main sound I associate with the monastery... a urgent call to action and a calming call to worship.

And once again, I leave the place wondering where or what God is calling me to do.  The answer is both - action and worship.  There are times of storm and times of calm... time for rest and time to work.  It's funny, but the lesson this morning during Matins was Paul's letter to the Corinthians pointing out that we are all like different parts of the body... all different and all essential. 

What is God calling me to do?  I may not know long term, but for now, God is calling me to my favorite Adirondack chair...

He's calling me to rest a little, read a little, then rejuvenated by 2 weeks of retreat, re-enter life, enjoy a weekend with my son, and then get back to work - both in my profession and in my church.  With time, after the waters calm a bit, he may call me to other places or even here.  But for now my role is to trust in God to care for me and use me as He needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.