Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday Morning - The river is calming

This morning during breakfast, there was a bit of fog on the river which almost seemed to be just drifting along the surface.  The angry river of a two weeks ago is calmed, replaced by the placid Hudson I normally encounter up here.  There is still a brown tinge to it... the effects of last week's storms aren't completely cleared up, but things are improving.  Of course, more storms will come... that's just life.

After Eucharist, the three of us had a last session with Br. Robert (the Superior of the order) in the Middle House Common Room.  We worked through an African version of Lectio on the section in Matthew 9 where Jesus heals the blind men and the mute man.  After that, we shared what we each felt were our next steps. 

For me, it's unknown... the storm of a divorce is still going on.  The waters will eventually calm for a while and the only certainty is I will face more storms and calm periods for the rest of my life.  Robert shared that St. Ignatius' guidance is that we shouldn't try and discern during the storms of our life.  It sounds like good advice.  I have time on my side.  For now it's time to let the waters calm a bit. 

I did initiate a discussion with Br. Ron about joining the associates.  This is a program for lay people who want a stronger relationship with the monastery.  It parallels the "How to be a Benedictine and Not Give Up Your Day Job" line of thought. He will get an introductory packet to me.  That might be a way to strengthen the ties while the waters calm.


After that, I spent some time by my favorite window in the guest library to complete the final few blog entries and then pack away the computer before Diurnum and the Noon meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.