Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It's good to be back







It's been almost exactly one year since my individual retreat at Holy Cross Monastery, and it was great to get back. The drive from NJ always represents the bits of shedding one does when you undertake a retreat. The parkway narrows every so many miles, and soon you're just driving up the Hudson River valley through quaint towns - and some troubled cities (God has a way of always reminding you of the need of our brothers). But eventually you make your way up Route 9W and really get into God's country.

I arrived at the guest house a little after 4:00 which was just in time to find my room (Saint Martin) and get settled a little bit before Vespers. This year my room is palatial (from a monastery point of view) since Kristen will be coming up to join me on Friday). Vespers was held in the incredible chapel they have here at the monastery (pics to follow, or look below for last year's - it hasn't changed much), and it only took me most of the service to find my way this time.

Following Vespers was dinner in the refractory (I hope I spelled that one correctly - not sure the blogger spell check will have that one). They must still have a chef from the nearby CIA as it was an incredible vegetable lasagna, a chick pea mozzarella and tomato salad and some fresh bread.

It is good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.