Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wednesday Morning




We woke up to another very rainy morning.  I didn't bother to photgraph out my window because it was all a blue grey downpour - nothing was visible.  After Matins, breakfast,and Eucharist we had another Lectio/Visio session with Br. Julian.  For both this and yesterday's sessions, he was using an item from http://www.seeingtheword.org/ which are meditations based on illuminations from the St. John's Bible.  Their website http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/ is also worth checking out.  Lots of information on this treasure (the first hand printed Bible that's been completely done since the invention of the printing press 500 years ago).



I made it to the Eucharist service today in the chapel.  This service is the only one that includes a sermon.  Today is the feast day of St. Michael and the Archangels.  Br. Andrew delivered the sermon and remarked that in his almost 50 years since ordination, he has never before preached a sermon on angels (I mean the winged creatures from heaven... not the corners of a triangle - I just realized spell check won't catch that one).  He called on Gabriel, Raphael, and the other archangels to come down and help us with their traditional tasks and then he said a line I hope I never forget.  He said...

"And if you by chance don't believe in angels, the for Christ's sake become one!" and urged us all to protect the innocent, heal the sick, announce the word of christ, and the like. 

Wow!

I'm used to a more "gee, perhaps you should think about this" type of sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.