Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Celebration!


It turns out I'm here on the weekend that they celebrate the dedication of the chapel over 80 years ago. Breakfast this morning was a full spread - eggs, bacon, etc in the hot line, smoked salmon and flavored cream cheese and bagels over by the toasters and (my favorite) traditional Irish oatmeal, along with plentiful fresh fruit (I had local concord grapes).

The Eucharist was much more ornate with incense, hymns and a sermon. No, they didn't have an organist, but you couldn't tell by the singing. During the sermon Br. Bede shared with us that the chapel was designed by a famous architect, though modified later to make it simpler. It has some unique design characteristics that really support the chanting (and it does). He shared that he knew he was "home" when he first set foot in the place many years ago.

I can attest that the chapel is a special place indeed. They always keep it open and I frequently found myself just going there to sit. The simplicity of it and the "feel" makes you feel as though you are home. God is definitely present here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.