Sunday, October 4, 2009

Companions for the Journey - Part 4

It amazes me how fast this place can turn people into companions. As I said before, we're all here on some type of journey, and frequently, we come from different places, intersect for a while (sometimes briefly, sometimes for a longer period), and then move on as we follow our path.

As I said earlier, on Friday, we saw a whole new group of people come together. I think only 3 people stayed from Tuesday through the weekend. And on Friday, I couldn't imagine having more different groups share the same space... serenity seekers, a group of women from a church in Brooklyn and another group from a church in DC. There was a wide age range, and as I said before, pretty much every flavor that human beings come in. I also noted on Friday that the groups were pretty much keeping to themselves. I figured that would be the case for the weekend.

I figured wrong.

Starting around the coffee pot, and expanding to the dining hall and then to pilgrim hall, I've noticed connections being made - and I've made many myself. Of course the groups still largely are together (most of the groups have programs they're going though), but throughout yesterday and into today, I've experienced much more interaction.

A major event was Saturday night. The women from the church in Brooklyn sort of took over the place. They provided an incredible feast for everyone - we even had desert! Following that, they invited us to a hymn sing (in the crypt of all places). So we carried chairs down into the crypt below the chapel, and there we had a glorious time praising God and singing our hearts out. I joined them not expecting what to find and fearful that I might be the only one outside their group, but again I was wrong. A number of the independent retreaters, some people from the church in DC and even a serenity seeker or two joined in.

There was NO feeling like an alien here after that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.