Thursday, October 1, 2009

Getting Away for a While

We have a long break after Dinner at Noon and Vespers at 5:00, and I reserved that time to go outside the grounds and explore a bit of the interesting things the Hudson Valley has to offer... you know blow off some steam and see what kind of trouble you can get into. I welcomed this opportunity today as the morning was cold, grey and drizzly (matching my mood).

I basically toured route 9 and 9w (both sides of the Hudson around here) and took in the quaint towns and establishments along the road. As I drove south, I moved away from the clouds which brightened the day somewhat (it's amazing how much effect the weather can have on your outlook). After realizing that there was nothing in an antique store that I would want and that would fit in the Miata, I stopped at the Vanderbilt Mansion across the river from the monastery. This is a large house (small compared to Biltmore - the "other" Vanderbilt house) and not as large in comparison to some of the larger homes in our area of NJ (yes, a wealthy area to be sure). The grounds were beautiful, but I had wasted too much time on the road and had to get back, so I only had time for a quick walk around the grounds. One thing it did provide was a wonderful view of the monastery from across the river - a different perspective so to speak - symbolic of the different perspective I needed today.

After the quick tour I had to RACE back to the monastery to get there in time for Vespers. I mean you don't want the monks getting pissed at you, do you? I got there just as the bell finished ringing in remembrance of Mary (the start of many of the services here). Fortunately, I wasn't stopped by a cop... I can imagine trying to explain to an officer that I was speeding to rush back to a monastery for a vesper service so I could slow down. Ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. I may delete comments that are not appropriate.